Cooking is something you can train in the game to make food that gives you more power! Your character sits down and eats this food when he or she right clicks on it. Eat it for 15 seconds and you have a Food Buff.
This is a secondary profession, meaning it does not count toward your two main professions. There are three secondary professions and you can have all three at the same time -- in fact, it's encouraged!
Reasons for cooking: make money, buff food (leveling/instancing/raiding), achievements, fun.
This guide is going to be a little different from the others, so bear with me. I'm going to list the cooking skill and the items you can/should gather to get through that skill level (linked to the appropriate recipe). The items listed are by no means the only items available, merely the easiest to get. I'm listing several at a time because, while leveling, you'll find an assortment of these things in your bags.
Any recipes that require a vendor or quest instead of a trainer will have a "-Buy" attached (low level cooking quest recipes do not bind on pickup and can be found on the AH).
- 1-30 Spice Bread
- 31-45 Raw Brilliant Smallfish-Buy / Raw Slitherskin Mackerel-Buy / Small Egg / Chunk of Boar Meat
- 46-50 Small Spider Leg-Buy / Stringy Wolf Meat
- 51-90 Raw Longjaw Mud Snapper-Buy / Raw Rainbow Fin Albacore-Buy / Clam Meat / Coyote Meat
- 91-120 Raw Sagefish-Buy / Crawler Claw-Buy / Boar Ribs / Crocolisk Meat-Buy
- 121-150 Gooey Spider Leg-Buy / Big Bear Meat-Buy
- 151-175 Tender Crocolisk Meat-Buy /Lion Meat-Buy
- 176-215 Raw Mithril Head Trout-Buy / Raw Greater Sagefish-Buy / Mystery Meat-Buy / Raptor Flesh-Buy
- 216-225 White Spider Meat
- 225 Artisan Quest: 12 Giant Egg, 10 Zesty Clam Meat, 20 Alterac Swiss
- 225-250 Raw Glossy Mightfish-Buy / Raw Redgill-Buy / Raw Spotted Yellowtail-Buy / Giant Egg-Buy / Tender Wolf Meat-Buy
- 251-275 Raw Sunscale Salmon-Buy / Raw Nightfin Snapper-Buy / Bear Flank (caster & melee)-Buy
- 276-300 Raw Whitescale Salmon-Buy / Darkclaw Lobster-Buy / Large Raw Mightfish-Buy
- 301-320 Barbed Gill Trout-Buy / Spotted Feltail-Buy / Buzzard Meat-Buy / Jaggal Clam Meat-Buy / Ravager Flesh-Buy
- 321-340 Figluster's Mudfish-Buy / Icefin Bluefish-Buy / Chunk o' Basilisk-Buy
- 325-335 Raw Golden Darter-Buy/ Talbuk Venison*-Daily
- 336-355 Raptor Ribs-Quest / Serpent Flesh-Quest
- 356-375 Crawdad**-Quest / Barbed Gill Trout
*Talbuk Venison can make either stamina or hit food, and hit food is by FAR the most valuable raid food in existence. Do NOT make +stam food with this until something in Wrath replaces it.
**Requires flying mount.