Friday, February 6, 2009

Engineering Pets, or "You Like Your Current Professions? Too Bad"

WoW Insider had a post on this post, and I'm doing a post on both posts. How messed up is that?

Anyway, Jayleenae, the creator of the second and more important post, is a genius. She found that you can level engineering enough (200 skill) to get one of the 2 BoP pets, make it (205 skill), learn it, and then unlearn Engineering.

And keep your pet.

The catch is that the BoP pets are a rare mailed gift item when you renew your gnomish or goblin engineering, and you cannot switch between the two types of engineering to gain both (the first one you choose is the only schematic you're allowed to farm through the renewal system). I wonder if it's possible to drop engineering altogether after you have one and level it again to get the other? Would that reset it?

I believe the answer is no. Wowwiki says you used to have to change to Gnomish or Goblin Engineering by dropping the profession altogether, and you still couldn't get the other pet. I doubt they changed it to allow it now, so I think folks in the comments are correct and it's just not possible on the same character.*
  • Gnomish: Lil' Smoky (Engineering 205 to Craft) -- 2 Mithril Bar, 1 Truesilver Bar, 1 Core of Earth, 1 Fused Wiring, 2 Gyrochronatom.
  • Goblin: Bombling (Engineering 205 to Craft) -- 6 Mithril Bar, 1 Heart of Fire, 1 Fused Wiring, 1 Big Iron Bomb. says:
There is a chance for a BoP recipe to drop in a mailed [_____ Engineer's Renewal Gift] upon renewal of your [_____ Engineer Membership Card]. It can take more than 100 renewals before the recipe drops. Note that you may renew the card several times in a row by destroying new cards as they're purchased, thereby increasing your chances to obtain the recipe. Should you decide to drop engineering, this pet may still be summoned.
Membership renewal costs 2g a pop, so you'll spend over 200g (not including materials) for one of these. Still, if you have gold to burn, no current projects, an easy-to-relevel gathering profession, and a nutty passion for pets, I highly recommend trying it. :)

I'm going to try on Birdfall at some point, because I'm crazy and because I like doing that sort of thing for you guys and because I have nothing better to do with her when there's not a holiday happening and because it actually looks cheaper and easier than some of the "free" farmable pets.

* This information edited in.

Engineers can now obtain the schematics for Lil' Smoky and the Pet Bombling from certain creatures found in Gnomeregan. Specialized Gnomish or Goblin engineers can obtain both schematics equally. The repeatable quest that used to randomly grant these schematics has been disabled. (source)
Don't know if you need to have engineering to get the drops or if they're changing the BOP nature of the pets. I suspect the pets will be the same but the method of getting them is now different.


  1. Yay!

    Plus, there's like a half dozen pets that Engineers can make already, so...

  2. I don't remember where I read it, but you can't switch and get the schematic for the other specialisation. It just won't drop for you. So choose the specialisation whose pet you prefer. And save your gold ;o)

  3. Everyone says you can't drop Goblin or Gnomish to switch to the other, but no one says if it's possible to drop Engineering completely and restart to do the other one.

  4. There's a comment on wowhead about this under the Goblin Engineer: "It should be noted that the membership renewal of the old specialization can still be done whereas the renewal of the new one is not available after switching. So pet collectors can get the bombling or smokey, but never both."

    Switching between Goblin or Gnomish requires you to drop engineering and re-level it, so that doesn't have an effect on the membership.

  5. Wowwiki seems to confirm. Le sad. But at least I won't waste money trying now. :)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.