Although I'm a lucky girl and have wonderful family willing to farm Kael'thas once a week with me at 80, I realized the potential for my guild if everyone got that one mount they've been dreaming of since they first heard of it. For one thing, we're a family raid guild on a small server, fighting to be taken seriously as raiders (from Kara to Hyjal in a year). Having lots of gorgeous rare mounts would seriously amp up our "rep" on Zuluhed.
So I'm going to tell you how I set things up and let you see if you want to do something similar with your guild.
Mount Excavation Team
- Mounts: Anything that needs a group and has a low drop rate. Zulian Tiger (drop about once a year), Razzashi Raptor (ditto), Ashes of A'lar (ditto), Raven Lord (can be farmed daily), White Hawkstrider (daily), and more will be added for Wrath.
- Signing: Guild members sign for the mount they want. First Choice, Second Choice, or Support.
- Rolling: You can tweak this if you want. My version is pretty informal because I trust the people in my guild not to leave after they get what they want, but in a competitive environment you may want to set up a sort of DKP system so people who farm more regularly have an edge. Currently, anyone with the mount on First Choice can roll (though they're asked to pass if they're new to the farming runs and someone else has been going longer). After that, Second Choice and Alts have their shot.
- Grouping: Because of the low drop rate on some of these mounts (those farmed once a week can take a year or more to drop), it's wisest to form as many small groups as possible and limit the number of people farming the mount as First Choice to 1-2 per group. This way, your guild can get plural rare mounts in the same year. (Also, always put someone trustworthy in charge of each group if the environment is competitive.)
- Time/Day: Once you have all the details worked out, pick a time and day to go at it. (The raid mounts require more planning in advance so that people aren't left out.)