The next patch gives us a new Looking for Group interface, where you queue with people from other servers in a massive pool of pugging.
No waiting, no mess.
Quite a few of the comments on the WoW Insider post were "Can't we limit the pug to our own server?" Which defeats the purpose, I think. You could just ask in general and trade for that. (Of course, everyone will be pugging with this system, so... yeah.)
- Queue for your role: Tank, Heals, Dps
- Queue a specific dungeon or get huge perks by going random.
- Queue from anywhere and get ported, just like the PVP panel!
- Queue with friends for partial premades.
- The more of your group is pugged on random mode, the more gold you get.
- Doing a random heroic gives you a limited amount of raid emblems.
- Usable by any level, but you can't go to anything above your level.
- This is the system that people think the Perky Pug pet achievement will be attached to.
- "Disenchant" will now be a roll option with need and greed, and you don't have to have an enchanter to shard things anymore.
Also, people really want pugging for raids too, though it's not currently available.
Pugging sucked mostly because it was so much TROUBLE to get a group together. Now it'll be as easy as joining a battleground.
I mentioned elsewhere that my Birdy is still in greens. It's because I just don't have time to wait around for a group to form. I'm thrilled that now she's going to actually get some blues and maybe *gasp* epics!!!
She could even... *reverent voice*... farm a blue proto drake.
And you won't be discriminated against for not having X and Y achievements.
And all those guildies who end up getting guilted into running stuff for others (i.e. my brother) won't have to anymore. Well, mostly.
So while yes, I do think the old problems with pugging your way into the company of jerks will persist, I also think the ease and allure of the system will give you a much wider pool of non-jerks to luck into.